Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Say What?

There's currently an article making the rounds over on the Yahoo! movies site called "10 Essential Facts About 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'". You can check out the entire article by clicking here. The so-called "fact" that, frankly, makes me quite crazy, however, is "Fact" #2, which states:
Co-creator Len Wein's original idea was that the character was actually a wolverine cub that was mutated into human form. He also intended for Wolverine's signature claws to extend from his gloves, not from his body. But these ideas were dropped when new writer Chris Claremont took over the series.
Let me respond to this as emphatically as I possibly can.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! And...oh, yeah...WRONG!

Well, at least, in part.

While I readily admit that my original idea was for Wolvie's claws to extend from the backs of his gloves (I figured that since Adamantium is indestructible, telescoping claws no more than a molecule thick could fit into those casings in the backs of Adamantium gloves, which had then been covered in cloth. Dave and Chris definitely improved on that idea), I absolutely DID NOT ever intend to make Logan a mutated wolverine. I write stories about human beings, not evolved animals (with apologies for any story I may have written that involved the High Evolutionary). The mutated wolverine thing came about long after I was no longer involved with the book. I'm not certain if the idea was first suggested by Chris Claremont, the late much-missed Dave Cockrum, or John Byrne when he came aboard as artist, but it most certainly DID NOT start with me.

Just setting the record straight here. As far as I'm concerned, that idea is spinach, and I say to Hell with it.

6 comments:

Richard said...

For what it's worth, that rumor never sounded right to me, not least because in each of his early appearances you were obviously writing Wolverine as a man. If pressed, I couldn't define what traits would make me say "this writer intends this character to be a mutated anthropomorphic nonhuman" but I think I would know it when I see it. Probably he wouldn't use contractions when he spoke, and would refer to the High Evolutionary as "Dad."

As to who might have come up with the idea...it's been observed many times that Dave Cockrum included at least one furry character with obvious animal traits in any set of characters he created. I'm just saying.

Now, can we have that behind-the-scenes making of Microbots post...or do I have to invent an online rumor about it for you to debunk?

Pj Perez said...

So what you're saying, basically, is ... you don't like spinach?

I guess you're not a fan of Popeye, either?

Richard said...

Len's just remembering Carl Rose:

"It's broccoli, dear."

Or Irving Berlin:

"I Say It's Spinach (and the Hell with It)"

David Wise said...

"I write stories about human beings, not evolved animals."

This explains why I couldn't get you to write for TMNT.

Anonymous said...

"that idea is spinach, and I say to Hell with it."

Well played, sir. Well played.

Hunter said...

I'm quite sure that Dave Cockrun is the source of that idea. I read an old interview where he said so and went on saying that Stan Lee himself vetoed that.

Best,
Hunter (Pedro Bouça)